1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Bought a flat, got engaged, appeared in court in Brooklyn, New York…
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I try my best not to make them. It’s always a disappointment when I don’t keep them. But I remember last year’s:
· Love a little more;
· Worry a little less;
· Be more honest;
· Be a little smarter;
· Pause a little more;
· Keep up the exercise;
· Say what’s on my mind, but not so much that it’s destructive;
· Work a little harder, but not drive myself into the ground;
· Be a little more me.
And I believe I have kept every one.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my sister. And I am now a very very proud Uncle for the first time.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I don’t think anybody who was very close to me died this year.
5. What countries/cities did you visit?
Oh my! USA (New York) Spain, Belgium, Sweden, Scotland, Italy (Venice, Naples and Sorrento). That can’t be it surely?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
More luck, more money, more job security.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
8th March, a special birthday, and a special proposal. And the party a few days later.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a new job just weeks before people from my old one were made redundant.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I tend to block failure from my mind.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes, norovirus, and numerous colds and strange muscle/stomach things. No broken bones this year.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new Digital SLR. My flat.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Anyone who’s coped with me.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I tend not to be appalled and depressed, just disappointed.
14. Where did most of your money go?
On the new flat probably! Rent, mortgage, fees and furniture. And travel.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving flat, getting engaged, and going on holiday!
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I’m not sure there’s a particular song, but an album: The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monae. There’s also Empire State of Mind.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you…
i. happier or sadder?
Happier, my happiness increases annually.
ii. thinner or fatter?
About the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d had the time and willpower to do more exercise. And reading, I certainly wish I had read more.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
More of nothing – literally. You know those days. They’re rare, but they happen.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
In Canada with my partner and family I hope. If my rescheduled flight leaves, after I was thrown off one on 18th December after 5 hours on the tarmac.
21. How will you be spending New Years?
In the midlands with my own family for “second Christmas”
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Yes. All over again.
23. How many one night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Hmmm. This year has been coloured by Family Guy, the Winter Olympics, Ugly Betty and Glee.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t think I hate anyone.
26. What was the best book you read?
Peter Mandelson’s autobiography.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
I want for very little.
29. What did you want and not get?
Probably job security.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
The Ghost – about a ghost writer. Incredible movie.
31. What did you do on your birthday?
Went for dinner, got engaged, and had a special birthday party a few days later.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More holiday in the sun.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmmm. Good question, and one I am not sure I can answer.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I’m not going to answer this but people who know me know what my general political views are. There have been many many issues that have stirred me this year.
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmmm. They’re not new people – I have known them since before this year. But only met them properly this year: David E and Chris M. But they’re both out-shone by the best new person I have ever met: my baby Niece, Imogen.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Life is what you make it.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Our love will sail in this ark
The world could end outside our window
Let’s find forever
And write our name in fire on each other’s hearts
41. Was 2010 a good year for you?
It was, yes.
42. What were your favourite moments of the year?
I’m having three: my birthday, lying on the Barcelonetta, getting the keys to my flat
43. What was your least favourite moment of the year?
Being sat on a plane for five hours in a snowstorm, going nowhere – and the subsequent cancellation and inability to get through to Air France. Oh and getting a summons in New York together with the subsequent court appearance.
44. What was your favourite month of 2010?
Can I have three? February, March and July
45. What was your favourite song from 2010?
I’m sticking to Janelle Monae’s whole album here…
46. What was your favourite record from 2010?
47. How many concerts did you see in 2010?
48. Did you have a favourite concert in 2010?
Scissor Sisters. And Goldfrapp.
49. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
I tend not to get ashamed of things I do.
50. What was the worst lie someone told you in 2010?
I can’t think of a lie I told.
51. Did you treat somebody badly in 2010?
I don’t think I did.
52. Did somebody treat you badly in 2010?
I don’t believe so.
53. How much money did you spend in 2010?
54. What was your proudest moment of 2010?
Becoming an uncle.
55. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2010 and change something, what would it be?
There’s nothing I’d ever change.
56. What are your plans for 2011?
Keeping a job, and getting married.